Swiss artist, architect, and theorist Max Bill (1908-94) was an important proponent of concrete and constructive art and a key figure in twentieth-century European applied arts and design. Trained at the Bauhaus with eminent figures like Wassily Kandinsky, Walter Gropius, and Paul Klee, Bill displayed an early virtuosity across a diverse range of fields, including painting, sculpture, architecture, typography, and design. In the 1950s, he collaborated with Inge Scholl and Otl Aicher to found the legendary Ulm College of Design, where he carried on the Bauhaus legacy as both artist and teacher and made a decisive and lasting contribution to twentieth-century cultural life.
By Ulrike Bestgen & Erich Schmid among others. Marta Herford / Scheidegger & Spiess, 2008. Tall 4to in stiff wraps as issued. 199 pages, richly illustrated. Text in both German and English.
Fine clean copy.